Xyzor
Squire
Squire

Riley is unhittable for too long after ult

Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:59 pm

I hate characters whose mechanics basically force you to use them. Riley's current attack sequence post-ult makes her unhittable for a significant amount of time, making her unbalanced for Arena. I know I get the same benefit from her as my opponents, but I just do not think it is fun.

Alao, I feel her Howl/Wolves thing does WAY too much dmg to back lines, especially since she then pounces into them right after to stun and do even more damage, all while being basically un-hittable. Her pounce should be interruptible like most abilities, or she should function like Esabel or Alana during those phases and still take damage. I think this would bring her more inline with other characters, and stop the meta from evolving into teams that ALL have Riley.
Last edited by Xyzor on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xyzor
Squire
Squire

Re: Riley is unhittable far too often

Mon Feb 01, 2016 12:18 am

Drood wrote:
both her pounce and her wolves can be interrupted (although the window is admittedly brief).

This is my point exactly. The window to interrupt and/or dmg her is far too brief. Let me PLAY the game, with timing and execution. Or at least in the arena, make it more than a rare blue moon situation where either gets interrupted.

I get annoyed when my decision making process almost always HAS to be "Riley and which other 4 toons".

Xyzor
Squire
Squire

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:39 am

ashOck21 wrote:
I like Riley the way she is. OP? Well, that is the way the game is heading. Gizmo? OP. Jasmine? OP. Leah? OP. Slim? OP. Characters to come? OP.

So you have to figure out how to play in a way that does not frustrate you. It really does not come down to changing the character because: "The interrupt window is so small that I do not like it because that is what I like to do."

This statement makes little to no sense and misses the point. First, if many characters are OP, then really no one is. The point is balance. If there are 6-7 characters (at least) of equal effectiveness, that is fine. 25+ would be even better.

There is no way to "figure out how to play in a way that does not frustrate" me if it is clear that the most effective way to play is to devote 20% of my arena team to the same character all the time. It would be more frustrating to constantly get my ass kicked because I don't "like" a certain character. To be clear, I actually do like Riley as a character, I just feel that the mechanics of her wolf state are flawed and that she should not be un-hittable for as much of it.

It is not a matter of me "not liking it because that is what I like to do". It is a matter of the game having checks and balances that allow many combinations of characters. We shouldn't be "forced" into all using the same character 70-80% of the time.

Xyzor
Squire
Squire

Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:29 am

I appreciate the sentiment, but I have 2 lvl90 accounts that compete in the top 15 and top 25 respectively on their servers in epic and normal arenas. I am far from the best, but am certainly relevant up top. Have just about all the non-$$ characters orange. The metas on my servers include a lot of Rileys. Especially outside my guild. And she turns the tide in a lot of fights. If you are fortunate to have a ST magic user with an ult charged after she pounces, yeah, that's great. In arena matches, though, that is almost completely beyond your control.

And while there are a few setups that can help counter Riley, you what the best counter is? Using Riley yourself, so you have a wolf pouncing into the other team's back lines while they have one in your yours. And that is exactly what I find annoying.

Again, though, the point of my feedback in this post is only that after her ult, she is unhittable for too long. I am not suggesting a nerf to any of her abilities, or a fundamental change in how she works. I just think that the length of time she is immune to any sort of attack in her wolf form is unreasonable. I am offering a very specific piece of feedback as a pretty experienced player of this game. While I welcome the discussion, I wish fewer people would read this as me just b*tching about the character as a whole, or whining that I can't beat her.

Xyzor
Squire
Squire

Re: Riley is unhittable for too long after ult

Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:09 pm

Again, not unhittable in general, but for the first few moves she makes after she ults, she is rarely vulnerable to any attacks.