pzapumpin
Knight
Knight

Sieging Changes

Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:36 pm

The underlying problem in sieging is that players can make one-sided builds and only play one part of the game. We need to force them to play full game.

Here are some suggestions:
-Garrison formations, deploy-able heroes that don't cast spells

-Have troop auto deploy formations. You will just field troops with no heroes. Open up a 12 hour window after you get sieged you can attack the persons auto deploy formation to get 100% of resources back if you win (only 1 chance at this). Both players would have no heroes, no borrowed troops. 100% injury rate for defender, 90% for attacker. This will force people to have well rounded armies and have some sort of PvP build. This obviously can't happen with heroes because both players would need to be logged on at the same time.

-An alternate approach to the above idea is a 72 hour window after someone attacks you but it will be a fight with heroes. This will give enough penalty if someone wants to hide for 3 days after sieging and will be real pvp combat. Same rules stand with injury rates and if you don't deploy troops it is auto loss just like when taking a city. This would need to be a separate tab, not on the house activity log.

-After someones sieges someone from your kingdom they get a skull for 24 hours. If they retreat from an attack they will get the surrender debuff and all their heroes will be injured. Also the plunder rate of their city will be increased by 10% and auto shield will be disabled.

-Disable Elena's strategic retreat for massive units

In summary both of these options will help with the garrison issue, bronze runs, and only having units in your army for sieging. There are still many more balance problems between races that need to be addressed to make this fair, but this is a step forward in gameplay.

Jamie
Squire
Squire

Re: Sieging Changes

Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:48 am

I'm not sure I like this idea, I think if someone wants to make a seiging build they should be able to, and this of course would come at a cost of PvP/defense capabilities.

Getting your resources back would be a little tricky, there's already a revenge feature in the game for this and fighting with only heros would favor the person with the most heros and be massively detrimental to anyone who doesn't have jacques/rose.

I actually like the third idea because it makes it harder for people to completely take all the resources from a single person

And strategic retreat should obviously be nerfed in some way

pzapumpin
Knight
Knight

Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:33 am

Another idea I have to counter bronze runs is:
If a hero dies during a siege attack then they lose 5% xp. This is really huge considering later hero levels, no one will every do bronze runs again, especially if your heroes can de-level when they are at 0 xp. I would not suggest this for PvP as this would ensure no one ever PvPs again.

Jamie
Squire
Squire

Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:54 am

I think a good way to soft-counter bronze runs is to give a surrender flag to people who get completely wiped on seiges, similar to how it works in PvP, losing exp is far too punishing considering how random wall ai can be.