Zmaxter
Squire
Squire

Questions about dragons (And tips)

Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:20 pm

I started playing less than a week ago and I can't find much in-depth information on dragons, so I hope I can find someone here who can help me. I checked the general guide 1 & 2 in the forums and the wiki, which uh... is a little dry (https://artofconquest.gamepedia.com/Dragon) and I can't seem to find the answer to these questions anywhere:
1 - Exactly what abilities are there?
Since we have a limited ammount of dragons we can have, I'd like to know exactly what abilities there are.

2 - Which is the best dragon? Or better yet, which is the worst?
One thing I see a lot is that most people agree that there aren't any dragons that are inherently bad, so I'd like to know which one is not as good.
I'm guessing this also depends on the other units or heroes, so for reference, I am playing Human.
It seems to me from what I've seen online that the Azure dragon is preferred for it's CC, The Onyx for sieging, the Topaz for unit damage and the Jade for hero damage because of it's percentage damage, which leaves the Ruby dragon at bay, but this is only conjecture and I would love further opinions.

3̶ ̶-̶ ̶D̶o̶ ̶a̶ ̶d̶r̶a̶g̶o̶n̶'̶s̶ ̶p̶u̶r̶p̶l̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶y̶e̶l̶l̶o̶w̶ ̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶i̶e̶s̶ ̶r̶e̶q̶u̶i̶r̶e̶ ̶d̶e̶p̶l̶o̶y̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶s̶t̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶w̶o̶r̶k̶ ̶w̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶d̶e̶p̶l̶o̶y̶e̶d̶?̶
Tested this one myself, and no. Apparently only the dragon that is currently deployed has their global buffs on. Sad but understandable, it would be a bit OP otherwise.
The question mark in the Dragon Lair, on "Raising Dragons", 2. specifies "Dragons resting in the lair do not affect your army. Only when deployed will a dragon increase your fighting power.", but I also tested the "Affluence" ability, which increases resource production, and the production does indeed lower when the dragon is undeployed, so make sure to leave your dragon with the best global buffs when you go offline, either to buff your garrison or to enchance resource output (And don't forget the traits that increase research and building speed)

Since I have all these doubts, I'm guessing a lot of other players also have them, so read below what I do know about dragons (Or what I think I know, please correct me if I'm mistaken, I only know this from 4 different dragons so I'm likely wrong):
-Like I stated above, you get all resources spent on a dragon back when you release them. Apart from losing the egg, this makes investing in a dragon pretty inconsequential;
-There are 3 types of ability, represented by colour:
Red abilities are only active if the dragon is on the battlefield.
Yellow abilities are global utility abilities
Purple abilities are global combat abilities
-Each dragon has 7 abilities:
3 Red combat abilities specific to their dragon type;
1 Red buff ability;
3 Yellow and/ or purple passives;
-There are at least three tiers to each ability - lesser(Green), improved(Teal) and greater(purple) (in order of worst to best) - ranking, respectivelly, up to 36, 60 and 72(This is only from legenary dragons, so I'm guessing there's a lower and a higher tier)
-Baby dragons leave you gifts when released
-Just like you do with equipment, you can transmute eggs in order to get eggs of the same rarity (and I'm guessing, just like transmutation, low chance of better rarity)
- I read somewhere that you can have a maximum of 15 hatched dragon eggs;
-You can hold on the abyss to collect the essence and chests easier.
-Heroes on the abyss spend stamina, but don't get injured.

Destination

Re: Questions about dragons (And tips)

Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:43 am

1. Dragon type is basically meaningless. Dragons are way to rare for you to worry about that, if you dont plan to pay thousands of $, and even then ive seen people not get what they want.
2. Dragons are really expensive to lvl, so you really just want a single Dragon at the highest possible lvl.
3. Divine Dragons can have 4 purple abilities going up to lvl 100.
4.What you want is a dragon with 4 purple abilities and a good predetation. Currently most people use humanoid predetation.