Krakatoa
Knight
Knight

Question About In-App Purchase Prices

Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:47 am

I know there is a difference in pricing between the Android and the IOS platform for any purchases made in Art of Conquest (IOS prices are approximately 35% to 42% higher on IOS) . When I sent a question to support I was told that this was an "automatic" charge added by Apple. However, I sent a request for an explanation to Apple Support and they said no extra charges are added to any in-app purchase or directly to the users. They do charge developers for listing and selling their application on the App Store initially. Is this the charge that is being passed on to the IOS users and what support referred to as "automatic"? Wouldn't that be included in what is called "the cost of doing business" instead of creating a pricing differential that hinders some and/or benefits others?
:twisted: Krakatoa :twisted:

CURRENTLY:
Server 23
Green
Krakatoa

Flames
Baron
Baron

Re: Question About In-App Purchase Prices

Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:36 am

Apple wrote:
Apple gets 30 percent of what's paid for an (in-)app or service, while the company or developer offering the app gets a 70 percent cut. That means when someone purchases an option of 100€ through the game iOS app, Apple gets 30€$ of this paid and lilith games 70€.

So i would assume that that is the reason why they ask 30% more on iOS.
So that in the end it's equal for them.

Krakatoa
Knight
Knight

Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:24 pm

Flames wrote:
Apple wrote:
Apple gets 30 percent of what's paid for an (in-)app or service, while the company or developer offering the app gets a 70 percent cut. That means when someone purchases an option of 100€ through the game iOS app, Apple gets 30€$ of this paid and lilith games 70€.

So i would assume that that is the reason why they ask 30% more on iOS.
So that in the end it's equal for them.

It's the same with Android, both charge 30%. What's interesting is that when I asked support they said that IOS "changed the prices by their own," which is not true. I've burned the phone lines for two days researching this. Fortunately since I have a new iPad, I can call support as many times as I want. Apple Forums and Quora is full of my questions too

I can't see the response by Apple that you quoted, could you please post a screenshot of it or maybe send me the link by PM?

CURRENTLY:
Server 23
Green
Krakatoa

Blueynoes
Squire
Squire

Tue Aug 08, 2017 12:18 pm

The answer is actually far more simple. They charge more because they can. It's a very common practice and there's nothing all that wrong with it.
The average price of an iphone is higher than the average price of an android phone (because of the low-end android models). Therefore, the average iphone user has more money to freely spend on entertainment (note again: AVERAGE, I'm not saying Android people are cheapskates).

You can find lots of market research and graphs that outline the difference in revenue on appstore and google play. Over here where I live this is very common practice. If I book a holiday for $500 including a flight, that same holiday would cost me $560 if I had visited that website with a Macbook. Their thinking is "You can afford a macbook, so you can pay more for this".

You may find it vile, but it's the way the world works :-)

Krakatoa
Knight
Knight

Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:17 pm

Blueynoes wrote:
The answer is actually far more simple. They charge more because they can. It's a very common practice and there's nothing all that wrong with it.
The average price of an iphone is higher than the average price of an android phone (because of the low-end android models). Therefore, the average iphone user has more money to freely spend on entertainment (note again: AVERAGE, I'm not saying Android people are cheapskates).

You can find lots of market research and graphs that outline the difference in revenue on appstore and google play. Over here where I live this is very common practice. If I book a holiday for $500 including a flight, that same holiday would cost me $560 if I had visited that website with a Macbook. Their thinking is "You can afford a macbook, so you can pay more for this".

You may find it vile, but it's the way the world works :-)

I think you have a point and it makes sense. I will also add that since it's almost impossible to have dummy accounts on IOS, they want to get as much money from users as possible. With Android, you can have accounts ad nauseum and take advantage of the patron package for example with each one (on my server there are so many "NewPlayer" users they should have their own city, they don't even bother creating a unique ID anymore. On IOS, they only get one chance to make a sale. The funny thing is that regardless of these disadvantages, I wouldn't change my iPad Pro LOL

CURRENTLY:
Server 23
Green
Krakatoa