Apollyon
Baron
Baron

Undead Thematics

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:30 am

"Developer’s Note: We believe that plundering resources is very representative of the character of undead units, so it made sense to us to make all undead units excel at this. As for Dunelords, their role is not necessarily intended to excel at plundering resources, but rather as a primary offensive unit with high attack and health. To reflect this, we removed the “Greed” trait and added “Regenerative Tissue” in its place."

Can we please get some more thoughts of the devs views about both undead and dwarven units, and the thematics behind the races? I am surprised you went this route for undead, because it doesnt seem like your average undead character would care much for gold or wood when they are merely a soul animating an inanimate object. Is there a reason that they crave material objects?

I think its awesome if you guys are deciding to go a different route with the undead from what is traditionally used, but it makes me curious as to what the overall theme for the race is then - what motivates them, what makes them greedy, what is their goal on this world, what do their day to day lives look like? Its very exciting, almost looking at an entirely new race :D

Sargon
Baron
Baron

Re: Undead Thematics

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:50 pm

I see what they are getting at, but thematically, the perma death on undead and mech is totally backwards to me. First of all, mechs are realistically the most likely thing to survive and be able to be 'repaired' since its not actually alive. They should just add a repair cost to mechs and not perma death them. For undead... once again, undead are thematically hard to actually kill and yet the game lets them perma death. Lich literally has units that instantly raise a dead corpse back to life, yet when their own units die its permanent. Like... lol. Moving past the theme of the above, the perma death on undead and mechs makes the hands down the worst unit types in the game by a huge margin. Lich is just lucky that its two living units are insanely good, and well... RIP dwarf. Lilith really needs to stop beating around the bush on silly changes like this undead pirate plunder theme and make mechs and undead viable by giving them a thematically appropriate way to revive in the hospital 100% of the time in friendly territory.

Freezee
Knight
Knight

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 pm

Sargon wrote:
I see what they are getting at, but thematically, the perma death on undead and mech is totally backwards to me. First of all, mechs are realistically the most likely thing to survive and be able to be 'repaired' since its not actually alive. They should just add a repair cost to mechs and not perma death them. For undead... once again, undead are thematically hard to actually kill and yet the game lets them perma death. Lich literally has units that instantly raise a dead corpse back to life, yet when their own units die its permanent. Like... lol. Moving past the theme of the above, the perma death on undead and mechs makes the hands down the worst unit types in the game by a huge margin. Lich is just lucky that its two living units are insanely good, and well... RIP dwarf. Lilith really needs to stop beating around the bush on silly changes like this undead pirate plunder theme and make mechs and undead viable by giving them a thematically appropriate way to revive in the hospital 100% of the time in friendly territory.

Agreed ^

Really wish I would just switch to lich but I've already bought a dwarf hero and put so much time in that switching now would just push me too far back on the server. At this point I'm just hoping for a buff

Cheerios7204
Baron
Baron

Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:08 am

Yeah, where they are allowing us to switch races without taking a hit to research, It would be nice if the next step was allowing purchased heroes to be swapped especially since they are so closely tied to which race you play.
Realm: S60
Kingdom: Athaly