Total votes: 163

Aluminara
Baron
Baron

Re: Merging Realms - Discussion Topic

Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:18 am

OGxBOSS wrote:
Devs please read!
I think servers should be merged because there are too many servers that have died from players leaving, new Servers releasing, and on some servers once one kingdom wins the war for all territory. I understand that sometimes houses lose and move to new servers, this happens on any clan/guild/tribe supporting game with multiple servers everyone likes a fresh start sometimes. Sometimes a solo player won't make many friends on his current server and will decide to play elsewhere. It happens. However I think merging servers will create more competition and more active servers! It does not have to be a one time all inclusive thing! I think a really fun solution could be:

I feel like everything you said right here is the reason merging server will not work. Or are just a band-aid, a little excitement until the reality hits and you are back to a dead/dying server.
And the rest of what you have said (to me) is just an echo of what other people have stated, an end game as endless war gets boring or stalemates.

I would like to add 2 more thoughts;
What will define a dead server?
And maybe a clarification to my lacks server idea is hero levels. If you are just doing maintenance by just getting the resource nodes but the ruins take longer than you care to spend, your hero levels will suffer.
Cirilla - Realm 61 - Athaly - Order of Chaos
Aluminara - Realm 39 - Neferak - Free Lancing

Jamie
Squire
Squire

Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:34 am

1. Server 43, Level 28 Castle
2. Advisor
3. There's really no reason for me not to want a merge since my server already has a pretty big whale
4. I would prefer if I individually got to make the choice whether or not to merge, nobody likes being forced to do something
5. My biggest concern is just dealing with another whale, its very oppressive to not be able to play the game because someone running silvers can clear out a full gold garrison.

My General Thoughts
Overall I think server merging is a great idea, the players that do merge will be significantly different than players that join new servers. These players will be more experienced and committed to playing and it can be really fun to play with these kinds players. However, I think the game has to make a choice on these mega-whales, there are players that can singlehandedly clear out entire houses with gold garrisons while taking little to no losses. They are absolutely untouchable in PvP and as a result make city capture and holding cities extremely difficult. This server merge can be a great opportunity to revitalize the games by bringing together more dedicated players and can foster a fun community where players play and fight on a near even playing field, but having a mega-whale ruins this and causes many to quit. I think a server merge is a step in the right direction but I think something also needs to be done to keep players from quitting in the first place.

OIO
Knight
Knight

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:25 am

1. 49 Pyramid 29
2. King of Neferak
3. N/A
4-5. I have discussed the pros and cons a few times throughout the forums on this subject. I'm tentatively in favor, however I'd like to point out that that the most fair methods of merging are also likely the most time consuming on the devs part, Also as a note, any solution should have longevity considered. A solution that cannont be easily repeated in the future is not viable for the long term health of the game. Since server deaths will happen again as time goes on. A dynamic solution that can either be initiated by the kings/players of the server, or is provided as an option on a monthly/bi-monthly timeframe. This merely addresses the first of my concerns. As I mentioned earlier the best methods would be the most dynamic methods, which is not as simple as saying, sever 49 and 50 will now merge, but more so saying server 49-52 can now merge with each other in any combination OR houses from server 49-52 can move to one of the other servers(not merging I know but any option left to a vote within a server has the distinct possibility of failing if a large portion of the realm is controlled by one faction). What was an option before now was to identify servers with dead or dying factions and try to match them up with servers that had a lively faction their. Much more complex think of it like playing legos with the servers, probably the least favorable as the only way the devs could manage this is by scraping server population densisty/power levels/activbity levels and trying to match it up with another server with opposing stats. I.E kingdoms a b and c are active where as kingdoms d e and f are dead, and then match it to a server thats a b and c dead and d e and f active. This route would be time consuming and have a high likelihood of failing as non of hte servers will fit these perfect molds, or at least a large amount of them won't. Leave a minority of servers this method works for and the rest not so much. I'm usualy a fan of any method that provides choice to the player base, or in this case the server, however how this is orchestrated in a fair and informed method could be problematic. Having the option to merge server or having a choice of what server to merge with, means I would like to know information about what server were merging with, Also, what if server 49 wants to merge with server 50, but server 50 does not want the whales from server 50 to come over. I'm actualy going to cut it here, I have a list of more concerns, but instead I'm going to list out my preferences

1. I'd prefer server merges are as fair as possible, with an emphasis on choice by the players
2. Server merges are a long term solution, with the option of being initiated by the players/requested(when enough servers request then the devs can initiate) or on some form of annual basis. A timeframe based merge option adds to the meta, in that people will be motivated to make certain decisions as merges come up. I.E turtle up or Burn the Land.
3. Server merges should take into consideration player count per faction, activity levels, and number of whales.
4, Any merge should clear the map, with some form of timer instead of level on territories.

OIO
Knight
Knight

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:25 am

As a follow up I'm not against Developer centric merges, however I believe that any method that would be considered "fair" would take up a large portion of the devs time, and also pulls the repsonibility for the outcome away from the players. I.E servers are merged by dev, one sides looses, and blames dev's. Whereas, if the merges are player driven, the outcome is completly on the players, no blame to the devs, less time spent figuring out how to make it fair etc etc.

SlanithOtaku
Squire
Squire

Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 am

No Realm Merges, No Realm Merges, No Realm Merges, No Realm Merges, No Realm Merges.

1: Realm 46, Engine 24
2: Crown Prince, Lord, Governor
3: No, Absolutely Just No, See Below
4: No, No Merges!
5: No Merges See Above, See Below

Kingdom Migration already works horribly as is and just forces everyone to merge on to 1 faction or get rolled by the new super faction of all the players from 3-5 other realms and worse if you don't move fast enough when the shift occurs you can get trapped on the wrong side of the tracks and forced to be farmed endlessly in a tiny kingdom or quit and move on. Which is an even more F-d up problem because the heroes and units you pay REAL money for are server locked.

Problems With Merges.

1) All the Cities are already captured, you can't just split up everyone hard work "fairly" between houses.
2) Houses already have leadership if you force houses together many will have huge problems and end up splitting up from competing leaders
3) There are to many balance factors to list from player levels, kingdom sizes, degrees of spenders on each side, how active sides are, etc. etc. just look at how badly Migration messed up most servers this will be even worse.
4) If people want to move to another server that's their choice, let THEM Merge to a NEW SEPARATE Server. Don't Force Everyone to follow the whims of some.

OIO
Knight
Knight

Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:34 am

SlanithOtaku wrote:
No Realm Merges, No Realm Merges, No Realm Merges, No Realm Merges, No Realm Merges.

Kingdom Migration already works horribly as is and just forces everyone to merge on to 1 faction or get rolled by the new super faction of all the players from 3-5 other realms and worse if you don't move fast enough when the shift occurs you can get trapped on the wrong side of the tracks and forced to be farmed endlessly in a tiny kingdom or quit and move on. Which is an even more F-d up problem because the heroes and units you pay REAL money for are server locked.

Problems With Merges.

1) All the Cities are already captured, you can't just split up everyone hard work "fairly" between houses.
2) Houses already have leadership if you force houses together many will have huge problems and end up splitting up from competing leaders
3) There are to many balance factors to list from player levels, kingdom sizes, degrees of spenders on each side, how active sides are, etc. etc. just look at how badly Migration messed up most servers this will be even worse.
4) If people want to move to another server that's their choice, let THEM Merge to a NEW SEPARATE Server. Don't Force Everyone to follow the whims of some.

I get the feeling your from an established power block, as your reasons imply that your sitting happily with your fiefdom.

Obviously, all cities would be reset, secondly its highly possible that houses would reset. Also migration was a boon on my server, maybe someones just a wee bit scared because their used to winning and all of a sudden the kingdoms you were used to farming all banned together.

Cheap shots aside, you did not present fact's, you presented biased opinion on why merges are bad. Maybe your server is good on numbers, maybe your's doesent require a merge to up the population. ON my server, theirs two entirely dead factions, that were dead prior to the merge. So your non-proposed solution doesent help a server that has 4 factions, with one extremely dominant one. In fact, your proposal would make it worse! If we had the option to leave we would, do you think the other 2 factions would stay and fight the major one? Nope, they'd leave too, so your proposal only drives the death of a server.

Kaiwhy
Squire
Squire

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:17 am

server 21 castle 25
bishop and duke
no to merge. yes to transfer
Option One:
rules: allow transfer to server
1) if your castle is lower than highest castle of the server
2) you can not join highest power kingdom
3) or kingdom with most cities
4) or kingdom with most player
5) a server you already have a player (also give option to delete character from server)
also add 2 3 and 4 to change kingdom rules as well
also let us see the details of the server like power/active players/map so we know that we are not joining an impossible battle
Option Two:
Allow people that have over level 20 castle(or maybe a power level or certain training school level) join a new server in hard mode. This servers npc and neutral castles have increased strength and increased rewards. Cities give higher rewards also. Mines and dungeons also have higher rewards. maybe take away the retry feature from npc battles and allow respawns.

The biggest issue is balance between the kingdoms

SlanithOtaku
Squire
Squire

Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:20 am

OIO wrote:
SlanithOtaku wrote:

Problems With Merges.

I get the feeling your from an established power block, as your reasons imply that your sitting happily with your fiefdom.

Obviously, all cities would be reset, secondly its highly possible that houses would reset. Also migration was a boon on my server, maybe someones just a wee bit scared because their used to winning and all of a sudden the kingdoms you were used to farming all banned together.

Cheap shots aside, you did not present fact's, you presented biased opinion on why merges are bad. Maybe your server is good on numbers, maybe your's doesent require a merge to up the population. ON my server, theirs two entirely dead factions, that were dead prior to the merge. So your non-proposed solution doesent help a server that has 4 factions, with one extremely dominant one. In fact, your proposal would make it worse! If we had the option to leave we would, do you think the other 2 factions would stay and fight the major one? Nope, they'd leave too, so your proposal only drives the death of a server.

I'm not even going to touch your opinion piece above. If you read my outlined points you would see a number of facts why server merging is a bad idea and I did propose a solution.

Server Merges won't work, they will never function well, I outlined numerous reasons why in my previous post.

While the kingdom migration has been a horrible addition to kingdom balance, I think we can all agree on that one with all the super kingdoms that occurred immediately because of this when everyone moves to the second strongest kingdom even if there was a good balance of 2-4 kingdoms fighting before and anyone caught unaware is just left out in the cold but I digress.

The Solution proposed was to allow Migrations to a NEW Server, Make it an Opt In Feature, Not a Forced In Feature. They're making new servers almost every 48 hours just make 1 a week that accept Migrations.

Server Migration Proposal:

1) Do Not Merge Servers, Allow Migration to a New Server as a Per Player Option.
2) Only Allow Players to Migrate Once a Month to keep server community consistent. If Players can move too often then large houses will jump servers like a swarm of locusts to raid all the resources on a server and then migrate on to the next. Additionally trolls and problem players will abuse this to escape their bad reputation on their existing server and be able to harass a new unsuspecting server.
3) Allow Migration from Blocks of Servers of the same relative age to maintain balance. - Example Servers 1-10 to one server, Servers 11 - 20 to another, etc. - Without this players and houses from younger servers would be absolutely crushed by older servers that have a month or more time ahead of them gaining resources and leveling their cities.
4) Put a floating cap on Kingdom Populations so everyone doesn't just Migrate off dead Servers and then Migrate to one super kingdom. if a kingdom has more then 25% of the total active player population, no one can move there, this applies to any kingdom with to many players not just the top one. spread the players around to keep the kingdoms active. - Active Count can be defined as total players that have logged on in the last 24 or 48 hours.
5) Players should be required to select a kingdom during migration limited by rule #4 to keep the kingdoms balanced and the game active and fun. Even if a very large house migrated they could easily all kingdom migrate as well at the start of a server if the old side was to heavily populated before they got there and if their force is that large they should have no issue being competitive no matter what side they pick.

ScottKing
Squire
Squire

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:08 am

1. 60 realm, 22lvl castle
2. Advisor
3. Yes i want to merge realms
4. Should be merged realms,about the time of the uprising example:

Realms 1-6
Realms 7-12
Realms 13-18
Realms 54-60...etc

After merging each realm will got 1 kingdom (of course random)
example:
Athaly -realm 1
Neferak -realm 3
Icarum -realm 5
Hyral -realm 2
Skarn -realm 4
Dunwulf -realm 6

Migration for the first weeks should be blocked

Realm 1 is the oldest one, to balance game every next realm would get a bonus for performance (building rush,Troop rush ),on the basis of the difference of the emergence of the realm.
example
Realm 1 was created 1 may 2017
Realm 2 was created 5 may 2017

So we have 4 days advantage,to balance it ,give players from Realm 2 (building rush and Troops rush boost for free) 12h boost for each day difference.

5 - Pay to win players, should by blocked using linari at Hospital for fast rush units, and significant limitation rush on queue when creating units.

Soraph
Squire
Squire

Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:16 am

1. 68 - Icarum - Engine 15
2. Marquis
4. I like to wait to hear about the official strategy
5. That I still get stuck with over half of the kingdom that never log-in