Freezee
Knight
Knight

Quick idea of potential end game fix

Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:22 am

So we all know the end game is....lacking. Biggest problem is that there really isn't an end game in the first place. It just comes down to one kingdom ending everyone's fun and ruining a server. There is no purposeful direction for players to be focused on.

My idea (and this is a very rough outline of an idea I just came up with) is to make it more like risk the board game. Anyone that knows what risk is understands the comparison, taking over cities to take of the continents and ultimately the world. However in risk there is an end, after one person owns all the board the game ends and you would start over. What if we made art of conquest more like a game of risk, with an ending?

Now hear me out. Right now you just want to own the whole server but why? Really it just means you have more mindless pve to log on, do, and log off. But what if after one kingdom owns every territory except the capital areas the map resets? Obviously you would want there to be incentives for the winning kingdom, not game changing buffs but some form of congrats, a trophy if you will. Then the server has 24 hours for any person that wants to play join the server and pick a kingdom, can't be the previous winning kingdom but it can be different from the kingdom they may have played before. Then it gets recycled at the bottom of the list as a .1. So if server 1 ends with icarum winning then 24 hours after the win it would show back up temporarily at the bottom of the server list as 1.1. Server 16 would be 16.1, 58 would be 58.1 and so on.

That was just a random idea that hit me tonight, not sure if this would be a popular idea or may have already been discussed or may have horrible downsides I haven't thought about. Any thoughts you have let me know.

Krakatoa
Knight
Knight

Re: Quick idea of potential end game fix

Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:13 pm

Freezee wrote:
So we all know the end game is....lacking. Biggest problem is that there really isn't an end game in the first place. It just comes down to one kingdom ending everyone's fun and ruining a server. There is no purposeful direction for players to be focused on.

My idea (and this is a very rough outline of an idea I just came up with) is to make it more like risk the board game. Anyone that knows what risk is understands the comparison, taking over cities to take of the continents and ultimately the world. However in risk there is an end, after one person owns all the board the game ends and you would start over. What if we made art of conquest more like a game of risk, with an ending?

Now hear me out. Right now you just want to own the whole server but why? Really it just means you have more mindless pve to log on, do, and log off. But what if after one kingdom owns every territory except the capital areas the map resets? Obviously you would want there to be incentives for the winning kingdom, not game changing buffs but some form of congrats, a trophy if you will. Then the server has 24 hours for any person that wants to play join the server and pick a kingdom, can't be the previous winning kingdom but it can be different from the kingdom they may have played before. Then it gets recycled at the bottom of the list as a .1. So if server 1 ends with icarum winning then 24 hours after the win it would show back up temporarily at the bottom of the server list as 1.1. Server 16 would be 16.1, 58 would be 58.1 and so on.

That was just a random idea that hit me tonight, not sure if this would be a popular idea or may have already been discussed or may have horrible downsides I haven't thought about. Any thoughts you have let me know.

I have asked a similar question myself several times here and in the Facebook group. What exactly are people trying to achieve in the end? So, someone "wins" and manages to run everybody off the board and they are the only ones left on the server, woo hoo, how much fun for that person. So, this big cheese is offered server wars and is allowed to go to different servers and do the same, he rapes and pillages all the other high-powered players until he runs them into the ground and he is now the big kahuna and god of the universe or whatever he wants to call himself. No players left to resist or defy him and no new players because it's no fun working so hard to develop your city just to see it destroyed and your resources stolen when this player decides it's your turn. What then? The saddest part is that this "lord or lords" will not have won because he was the best but simply because he paid the most, there is no mechanism in the game that would give the most talented player even a 1% chance of beating someone who has the biggest wallet

I don't know if your idea is the solution but it is certainly a start.
:twisted: Krakatoa :twisted:

CURRENTLY:
Server 23
Green
Krakatoa

ArtemisQuinn
Squire
Squire

Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:04 am

Personally I would be all for the Risk idea. Though you are going to piss off a lot of players if the world "resets". Does everyone get to keep all their Troops, castle level, etc... If so then people are going to get wise to this and join houses and sides off server(either here or some other method) then reek havoc once the server starts anew. So some system will have to be set up where when the server 'wipes' for a new game board. It will need to be random and everyone stars on vaguely the same footing. Then that punishes all the people who worked really hard and got to the top. So you would have to figure out a fair system that gives both the 'winning' kingdom and the top what ever players(in any kingdom) both some sort of advantage. Something small, but noticeable that does not break the game.

So how to reset it and make it fair is the question. If you simply wipe the map and have everyone be forced to join a new kingdom with all their previous stuff. Then each "round" would be shorter and shorter. Until only those who paid to win would decide which kingdom won, making it a rigged game to start with. Maybe rather than that maybe have the top what ever percent advance to a championship server? Thus skimming the top of the power rankings off to fight each other, and leaving those who really just do F2P and grind have a shot at becoming part of the top. After a few rounds of this eventually crowning winners in several brackets based on their power and how long they played. With those players getting some sort of real reward like they do in E-Sports.

Eventually you would have it so servers were always rolling over. Then you could make new players start in a section of servers that had not rolled over at all or only a limited amount of times. So everyone who is new has a fresh start on even playing ground.

I have no idea if that makes any sense, but that would be my concept if you did do a Risk sort of system.

GarrettNelson
Squire
Squire

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:56 pm

Or maybe after getting to castle 20 all players can join a second mini map that people fight over for buffs. like maybe 5 cities that are all neutral that players fight to take over. Each city also gets a buff for all players of the kingdom that controls it. I like the reset idea but a second map would be really fun because it gets boring going around the same map all the time. Adding 2 maps one more end game with big buffs for the kingdom sounds pretty cool to me.

GarrettNelson
Squire
Squire

Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:58 pm

Or maybe after getting to castle 20 all players can join a second mini map that people fight over for buffs. like maybe 5 cities that are all neutral that players fight to take over. Each city also gets a buff for all players of the kingdom that controls it. I like the reset idea but a second map would be really fun because it gets boring going around the same map all the time. Adding 2 maps one more end game with big buffs for the kingdom sounds pretty cool to me.