OIO
Knight
Knight

Re: plan for dying servers

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:59 am

There are a few large issues with merges:

1. Do they merge all odds with evens
2. Merge all dead servers with other dead servers, or merge deads with low pop counts.
3. Merge Deads into high pop counts.

This is really the first question. The next question is whats dead.

1. Does it count as dead if only two factions are active, or 3, or 4?
2. What if a server has low pop counts, but high whale counts. Does this count as dead?

If they go with an across the board merge, as in by the choosing of the company. How do you resolve issues of multiple toons on different servers?

1. Does one erase the other.
2. Is having to move your toon from a server your establish on, in a faction your familiar with, to another server fair(if its assumed that they dont simply erase the other character and you can move it)
a. this brings up the issue for a the character of where do you move your second toon too? You dont know if your Light Blue character is going to be worth it on
server XX
3. Keeping both would be additional programming on the devs part, that I'm not a 100% is viable. As you could be faced with the situation of competing against yourself.( I know people have multiple toons on the same server, however this is usualy to serve as an early warning system/intel gathering alt)

None of these issues address the two most glaring problems with transfers.

1. Whales
2. Imbalanced factions populations

If server A merges with server B and both servers have whales in the purple faction, wont this create a larger powergap? Essentially causing more issues for the f2p's.

Next would be the same possible scenario, expect server A has a large pop count in green, lets say 25% higher then the other factions. If server B also has the population disparity between factions. Then without question Green would be the powerhouse on the server.

How do they resolve this? Spend countless manhours trying to research the population dynamics of each server to properly merge them all?

Leaving it up to players brings along the same exact issues, as people will just uproot with their friends and go to the newest server they let people go too.

Frankly, I don't know what the solution is, but I do know that merging is an incredibly complex and possibly disastrous solution. Limited transfers or merges with absolutely dead servers or servers that are capped by one faction should have some form of solution applied.

The real solution is slowing down server creation, or funneling a certain percentage ( even 25% would help keep the older servers going) of players to older realms. Theirs plenty of incentives to motivate people to join older servers.

1. Start them at higher HQ levels. Nothing extravagant. You could take all the HQ's average them out and start them out at half of that, at most your looking at 15( if everyone was 30) realistically your looking at starting out between 8-10, not a huge leap, but you've still cut out the most boring part of the game. It could also be more dynamic, depending on what the player base thinks is fair, such as all or half of all of your chosen races silver troops researched. Number one problem with this solution is multiple alt accounts. Theirs nothing to stop people from just filling their cities with toons they only build walls with. Is this bad? I dunno, its fairly cheesy, and detracts away from live raids, and actual pvp so I personalty don't like this solution.

2. Protection for cities of a certain level. Once again this multiple directions it can go. It could be as simple as you cannot attack someone with an HQ of less then 50% of your HQ, or any other percentage. It could go away if that person starts attacking cities, or after a certain time limit, I prefer methods like this, however the information needs to be clearly displayed somewhere so people know that they have this option/protection if they start on an earlier server.

Theirs countless other things that need to be done to help maintain server population health, however thats not what this thread is about so I'll leave it for another discussion.

Azemeazed
Knight
Knight

Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:20 am

I again advice to make inactive players as bots who produce defense, heal, enter houses and citys, gather resources from stronghold and use mines. I know its not same when you play against AI but still its better than to see 2 players on map and burning empty citys...

Again i didnt invent "warm water" this is how it is in some other war strategies out there. You dont have to be original in every way, and noone is we all copy others and others copy us all the time.

Sure you can study merge and maybe you come up with a good solution one day but till than this is easier and more active solution for dead servers.

Also concerning dead lords, ministers... make it bot and lord title passes to strongest active human (not human race but real player human) minister or normal house member if ministers are dead also. If there is only dead leader in city and no other active members than make it possible to enter house without aplication...

doudoudildo
Squire
Squire

Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:30 am

And what about a plan for less servers dying ?
Maybe releasing new server slower would be an idea...

In 74, after one week, there is already only one remaining house in dunwulf and hyral. Skarn has two and Icarum is dead. Meaning after one week, half the cities in the west side are already empty. What is the point to play in these... ?
After one week....

Azemeazed
Knight
Knight

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:14 am

this game was planned to be like "game of risk" as many call it. But designers didnt count on many players gonna cry for spent real money and to loose all benefits when new game starts (starting on new server).

Solutions for that is not merging servers cause its pretty complex thing but to :
1. Use bought heroes and patrons on new server you start to play
2. Make dead players bots so players who dont want to start over dont get bored on old servers
3. Make overall statistics for each account where you can see how many citys you captured, enemys killed, resourses gathered etc etc which is visible on every server you want to play on and its overall on all servers ( you dont have zero when you start on new server). E.g. I captured 2 citys on server 1 and i moved to server 2 and at start i can see on my statistics that i captured 2 citys.

Bhaphomet
Baron
Baron

Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 am

Another idea would be to define an "end of the game" status. Like one house has conquered 10 cities, or 5 giant cities or is owner of 20 territories. when that goal is archieved the server ends and a new one is opened. you take all your heroes and patron status with you. stuff bought with linare vanishes.

you could do servers with different goals or have servers with different goals to archieve. whichever goal is archieved first ends the server.

id say that would be a lot of fun.

leveling would need to be faster of course, repairing also - the whole game would need to be a bit faster paced.

lets say thje average server should have a lifespan of 2-3 months.

take care that a new server starts with the same number of players in each kingdom, new players enter kingdoms one player for each kingdom, then next kingdom. a new server starts when each kingdom has 30-40 players - up to that point players can join whatever kingdom they want to be in and which isnt filled up to the min player number. once the min player number is reached in a kingdom, it gets locked, till all other kingdoms have reached the starting minimum number of players also.

would make it "fair" -you never know what faction gets the whales though ..

... whales ... I would totally eliminate whales ... by not allowing to buy game deciding things foir real money. just fancy and conveniance stuff should be obtainable by real money.

even out patron players for each kingdom or make patron mandatory ... (maybe lower the price for it to compensate).

just a few ideas ... I could go on ...

Azemeazed
Knight
Knight

Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Yep like the idea of limited time servers. That could solve the problem for overall statistics from my previous post cause its not really same to kill bots and real players and to have same credits. And again it wouldnt be nice to not get credits for plunder/kill/capture bots...

Apollyon
Baron
Baron

Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:26 pm

I disagree that the game was meant to be played like risk. There is no way to wipe q faction and claim the board.

Why the focus on merging? Just replace inactive players with new players. Stop giving people a choice as to which server they play on. Keep existing servers and don't release a new one unil it is _full_ of _active_ players. If one single one goes inactive then a new player takes his slot instead of being put on a new server.

Bhaphomet
Baron
Baron

Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:58 am

Apollyon wrote:
I disagree that the game was meant to be played like risk. There is no way to wipe q faction and claim the board.

Why the focus on merging? Just replace inactive players with new players. Stop giving people a choice as to which server they play on. Keep existing servers and don't release a new one unil it is _full_ of _active_ players. If one single one goes inactive then a new player takes his slot instead of being put on a new server.

*agrees*

new servers though means more revenue for lilith (multiple patrons on one player, have to rebuy all heroes on the new server as they dont transfer to other servers)

its the money game ...