Page 1 of 3

Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:20 am
by Poseidon
Here's a copy from my post on the Facebook page:

"Those of you that suggested Taurus have 0 imagination. It's every other bull name from the zodiac sign to WoW to what have you. Minos which came in second was amazing. If you ever picked up a book, you might've known that Minos was the king of Crete. His wife "did it" with a bull and gave birth to the first Minotaur. Minos was furious, but his wife begged him to spare the minotaur's wife. So he built a labyrinth beneath the palace and trapped him within until Theseus came to slay it with the help of Minos' daughter.

I hope he's the most useless hero so I never have to level him/see him.

Those of you that voted Minos, like me, you have my thumbs up and my condolences..."

I think it makes my point pretty clearly. When I cast my vote, Minos was a very close second. Can we please see the final results?
If you put the actual story behind the name, as I just did, into the hero description I think people might reconsider. Don't you think it'd be a lot more interesting hero that way?

I can live with the various problems and the expensive purchases required to remain in the Top 5, but this really pushed my buttons. Those of you that agree, please show your support in this thread. Let's pass it on to developers/writers.

I know some of you are already thinking "Are you an idiot, they don't care about OP Zem or Ezio escaping roots, but a name throws you off?".
Well... it does. And who knows, one small step can go a long way to changing things.

Re: Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:00 am
by Forsaken
I agree!
But i also think the name Taurus should be saved for a bull that stands on four legs..
Its a cool name that could fit a symbolic zodiac bull.

Re: Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:47 am
by s00pahFr0g
I don't really see how it's any more imaginative to name it after Greek mythology.

Btw it's Tauren in WoW not Taurus.

Re: Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:13 am
by Poseidon
s00pahFr0g wrote:
I don't really see how it's any more imaginative to name it after Greek mythology.

Btw it's Tauren in WoW not Taurus.


Well, for one thing, I have never seen it done so it'll definitely be more original.

As Forsaken pointed out, Taurus would be more appropriate to a regular bull - a quadraped, althought for that, there's the Chinese - Yaoguai or more specifically Niomuwang. if you think about it - Minotaur is a composition from Minos and Taurus, literally Minos' Bull. So naming it Taurus is pretty much the same as naming it Bull.

And as for WoW and Blizzard in general... really, you're going to point out they changed "us" to "en"? Please... Blizzard and originality are as related as a donkey and space (it's a Eastern Europe idiom...)

Re: Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:32 am
by Namorat
I voted for neither. Taurus is boring, Minos is plain silly. As you know and as was pointed out, Minos is the king's name, not the bull's. That name would make me even angrier, because it looks like a half-educated name at best.
So no, I am against voting again.

Re: Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:33 am
by Maxie3
Well, Minos name is not very imagintive too. After all, it's a copy/paste from Greek Mythology.
Still, way better from Taurus. But remember, it's a democracy. Majority of people wanted name "Taurus", so they got it. Just look how much votes "Dume" got (without any doubt, most creative name). Why's that? Simplicity over complexity.
Yeah, I agree. Soul Hunters needs a lot better (or any) lore. Characters needs some past, otherwise we are in charge of heroes army with as blank as emptiness personality.

As for final results, there you go.
http://screenshot.sh/odUqndm8oT6oL

Re: Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:58 am
by KemosabeTBC
I voted Minos but, I think this discussion is stupid. If we would redo a voting everytime someone thinks the best option didn't win then what would be the point of voting? Repeat it until your option wins? That's ridiculous and the opposite of what democracy stands for.

Re: Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:26 am
by Namorat
I would have liked my own names Matesh or Mijor, but given the options I voted for Dume :)
The acceptance of a democratic vote is indeed a necessity for a healthy democracy.

Re: Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:04 pm
by Poseidon
Maxie3 wrote:
But remember, it's a democracy.


KemosabeTBC wrote:
I voted Minos but, I think this discussion is stupid. If we would redo a voting everytime someone thinks the best option didn't win then what would be the point of voting? Repeat it until your option wins? That's ridiculous and the opposite of what democracy stands for.


Namorat wrote:
The acceptance of a democratic vote is indeed a necessity for a healthy democracy.


I'm questioning this "democracy" you all talk about. A democracy would entail that the entire "sovereign" (in this case the players) were given the equal opportunity to vote. Were this the case? I don't think so...

From what I'm reading on Facebook, players suggested the names that went onto the Vote? Well let me ask this - where is this announcement for name suggestions? I don't see it on forum, neither did I see it as a game event. Was it only on Facebook? How is that "everyone"?

And really? You're going to give me democracy? When were you ever given a choice before this single instance? What kind of power do you have as a player? Next to none... I don't think you grasp the concept of democracy. The most similar political system that can be used to describe this game is totalitarianism. All the choices are made for you. Well, except for whether you pay or not, in which case it simply becomes a bureaucracy.

So I say, take this ONE opportunity to change something, as insignificant as it is and act upon it. If you value democracy that much and aren't happy with the final choice, then act upon it. Democracy does entail the right to appeal...

As far as the name goes, I only say Minos, because well... look at my Username? Are you surprised? Besides it's the second highest result. My idea wasn't to vote again as you all suggest, it's to simply take away the ridiculous Taurus. I have nothing against Dume, I'm fine with that as well. Mitosh, Mijor, even Hanky-Panky would be all a lot better. Honestly, anything but Taurus...

Re: Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:11 pm
by KemosabeTBC
Poseidon wrote:
I'm questioning this "democracy" you all talk about. A democracy would entail that the entire "sovereign" (in this case the players) were given the equal opportunity to vote. Were this the case? I don't think so...

From what I'm reading on Facebook, players suggested the names that went onto the Vote? Well let me ask this - where is this announcement for name suggestions? I don't see it on forum, neither did I see it as a game event. Was it only on Facebook? How is that "everyone"?

And really? You're going to give me democracy? When were you ever given a choice before this single instance? What kind of power do you have as a player? Next to none... I don't think you grasp the concept of democracy. The most similar political system that can be used to describe this game is totalitarianism. All the choices are made for you. Well, except for whether you pay or not, in which case it simply becomes a bureaucracy.

So I say, take this ONE opportunity to change something, as insignificant as it is and act upon it. If you value democracy that much and aren't happy with the final choice, then act upon it. Democracy does entail the right to appeal...

If we are talking about apples why do you argue with oranges? The point is not how the possible names were chosen but which of the possible names earned the most votes. That voting was available to everyone and a specific name got the most votes. That is all there is to it.