s00pahFr0g
Knight
Knight

Re: Overrule the November Login Hero's vote.

Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:09 pm

Poseidon wrote:
s00pahFr0g wrote:
I don't really see how it's any more imaginative to name it after Greek mythology.

Btw it's Tauren in WoW not Taurus.

Well, for one thing, I have never seen it done so it'll definitely be more original.

As Forsaken pointed out, Taurus would be more appropriate to a regular bull - a quadraped, althought for that, there's the Chinese - Yaoguai or more specifically Niomuwang. if you think about it - Minotaur is a composition from Minos and Taurus, literally Minos' Bull. So naming it Taurus is pretty much the same as naming it Bull.

And as for WoW and Blizzard in general... really, you're going to point out they changed "us" to "en"? Please... Blizzard and originality are as related as a donkey and space (it's a Eastern Europe idiom...)

I do agree that Minos is more fitting than Taurus, but I really don't care about how they name them anyway. Many of the heroes in this game are a rip off of DotA heroes, the asian version of the game is even called dot arena. Lumos, Firehawk, Sagar, Malrath, Xanos, Tholin, Ethera, Flora, Vespix, Mariana, Magdor, Arcturus, Wraxius, ect are all clearly copied heroes. If you look at dot arena's heroes it becomes even more obvious. You know where DotA came from? Warcraft 3. This games existence largely owes itself to Blizzard. There are definitely a lot of things that need to be fixed with this game, if you're going to go on a crusade to get things fixed then I'm all for it but let's fight over something that actually makes a difference.

KemosabeTBC
Moderator (Soul Hunters)
Moderator (Soul Hunters)

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:09 pm

Also to say that Blizzard has no originality is pretty naive. They have been developing games for almost 30 years and they they set several industry standards

s00pahFr0g
Knight
Knight

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:19 pm

Warcraft is a high fantasy setting so it definitely takes inspiration from other sources, but most of our entertainment these days is based on stories that have already been told many times. Blizzard has done a good job making the Warcraft lore unique though, at least I enjoy it.

Poseidon
Knight
Knight

Sun Oct 30, 2016 6:57 pm

KemosabeTBC wrote:
Also to say that Blizzard has no originality is pretty naive. They have been developing games for almost 30 years and they they set several industry standards

Really? Blizzard's so-called "originality" ended with Rock-n-Roll racing for the Super Nintendo. I'm going to make this one point and then PLEASE, don't continue derailing the thread. I don't want to turn this into a slant.

Blizzard's first major PC game was Warcraft - Orcs vs. Humans, which among other less notable stories, is mostly based upon Lord of the Rings
Then came Diablo - which is nothing more than a fantasy retelling of Dante's Inferno
And then we have Starcraft. Hmmm Zerg vs. Terran vs. Protos... seems oddly familiar with Human vs. Alien vs. Predator, which was already a game franchise of it's own at the time.
World of Warcraft was so lazy at first, that it copied every single asset out of Warcraft 3 and continued rehashing models until Cataclysm.
Hearthstone... please... where do I even begin? Magic The Gathering? Yu-Gi-Oh? Etherlords? To name a few...
Overwatch - a DotA/HoN/LoL mixed with CoD/CS... massive innovation right there!

Don't misunderstand me, I've played WoW and Diablo for years, like every other game out there. I'm not questioning the quality of games (which is completely different topic), i'm questioning their source material.

I'll gladly agree that my statement makes me naive, when you agree that you need to pick up a book...

My apologies for having to sink down to mockery, that is certainly not the image I want to have.

P.S. Please delete this whole Blizzard fiasco, hengli. It is not the place!

KemosabeTBC
Moderator (Soul Hunters)
Moderator (Soul Hunters)

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:43 pm

Originality is not just about what you describe, there are lots of types of originality. And yes I maintain my point that Blizzard has been original many times. Lord of the rings, for real? Using that argument you can argue that almost every RPG ever made is a Tolkien ripoff... I guess originality for you only happens when someone creates an entire new world with a complete new language and grammar rules, etc. So Tolkien is the only original author I guess. Every single author of the past 70 years is a ripoff

Regarding the original topic. Whether we like it or not a voting has been made and there was a winner.

Zentor
Viscount
Viscount

Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:50 pm

KemosabeTBC wrote:
Originality is not just about what you describe, there are lots of types of originality. And yes I maintain my point that Blizzard has been original many times. Lord of the rings, for real? Using that argument you can argue that almost every RPG ever made is a Tolkien ripoff... I guess originality for you only happens when someone creates an entire new world with a complete new language and grammar rules, etc. So Tolkien is the only original author I guess. Every single author of the past 70 years is a ripoff

Regarding the original topic. Whether we like it or not a voting has been made and there was a winner.

According to his logic, there can only be ONE type of game to every genre. Otherwise it's deemed ''unoriginal''!
But honestly, can you blame him? Look at tomatoes. They start out green and turn out red. Have you seen apples? They're also green and red. What a RIPOFF.

Poseidon
Knight
Knight

Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:41 pm

Zentor wrote:
According to his logic, there can only be ONE type of game to every genre. Otherwise it's deemed ''unoriginal''!
But honestly, can you blame him? Look at tomatoes. They start out green and turn out red. Have you seen apples? They're also green and red. What a RIPOFF.

I literally LOLed at that. Tomatoes suck man! And not all apples turn red.

You can continue bending and twisting my point for your own (and apparently my) amusement, but I'm done. Blizzard are the masters and inventors of original content and this game is a democracy. Decided!

Zentor
Viscount
Viscount

Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:59 pm

Poseidon wrote:
Zentor wrote:

You can continue bending and twisting my point for your own (and apparently my) amusement, but I'm done. Blizzard are the masters and inventors of original content and this game is a democracy. Decided!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRQijskAMp4

KemosabeTBC
Moderator (Soul Hunters)
Moderator (Soul Hunters)

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:59 pm

Poseidon wrote:
Zentor wrote:

Whether this game is a democracy or not is irrelevant, the point is, what you wanted to do is most definitely not a democracy. You want to have more power in deciding which names will be available to chose from? Fine. You want to change a voting that was already made by players? Not fine...

PS: And yes, Blizzard did have some good ideas. Not everything that exists in a video game is lore and story, there are so many things that could be measured as inventive, story, gameplay, game mechanics, even algorithms used to implement the game. It's funny that you mention Tolkien when you talk about Warcraft, because the first thing that comes to my mind is Dune 2.

Namorat
Viscount
Viscount

Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:56 pm

It was on the Facebook page and I am rather sure I entered it via the game itself.
no more money from me