LoneWolf
Baron
Baron

Re: Culture, Consumer Value, and Gambling Addiction

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:39 am

Warlock54 wrote:
KemosabeTBC wrote:
I enjoy Soul Hunters, but I would like to see it be more fair to its fans..before it doesn't have any.

I've seen far too many games not care and take advantage of their paying players, that the game has died. This one is heading directly down that path - even faster than the previous ones I've seen die!
Never Bite The Hand That Feeds You
Current Primary Deck: Nilya, Sylphi, Kong, Malrath, Goram
Current Secondary Deck: Firehawk, Jasmine, Taurus, Tashi, Valan

poisoned
Baron
Baron

Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:57 am

I think Lilith underestimates the different spending habits for games in Europe, Australia and America compared to Asia where it is quite normal to spend huge amounts of money for gaming.

Personally i have stopped spending money right because the low payout.

i mean i could either have a 3* hero with no gear whatsoever OR i could buy two AAA Games for my Playstation4 with hundreds of hours of content.

Microtransactions are a grat way to earn money. But Lilith doesn't really promote those outside of the monthly diamonds and the 3* tier of the EA Heroes.
what a waste of money... VIP10, 18 Awakened Heroes and counting

Rashar
Baron
Baron

Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:08 pm

That said, Rashar, if you're cool with the drop rate, there's not a lot I can say in response.

Where did I ever say I was cool with the droprates?

All I said was:

I agree with KemosabeTBC... and that is saying a lot :D

Which was in response to:

If it is any comfort to you, I think Hurok is the best non awakened arena hero in the game, even at 3*

So all I agreed on was the sentiment that Hurok is the "best" hero in the game aswell. Now we can argue on the definition of best in the context of this sentence, but let it be very clear there was nothing else I agreed on.

Remember when you assume you make an ass out of u and me.

Grocoloco
Baron
Baron

Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:08 pm

Warlock54 wrote:
I'm not sure if its intended to catch the unwary, or they just don't think about it this stuff from a Western point-of-view. I mean, perhaps this acceptable in Korea and this is a difference in cultures?

You are making a valid point in your post but I think you are unaware why the system it's like it is, why Lilith is no different from most asian mobile games out there, and why games will continue working like this for a long time.

1. Asian cultures strongly believe in luck, fate, numerology. It's been deeply ingrained in their culture for centuries, gambling is a normal social activity.
2. Point 1 explains Asian addiction to gambling. *According to Dr. Timothy Fong, an associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA and co-director of the UCLA Gambling Studies Program, the rate of gambling addiction ranges from 6 percent to nearly 60 percent, depending on the specific Asian ethnicity (Southeast Asian refugees scoring highest) as opposed to the national rate of 1-2 percent.*
3. In Asia this type of commercialization method is accepted without much opposition, unlike here in the west.
4. Read this: http://www.serkantoto.com/2012/02/21/ga ... ial-games/ or google what is Gachapon applied to free-to-play social games (this method is being used in many western games already).
5. This model is a BIG success, the west included.

There have been cases where game companies went full gambling mode and regulations have been imposed in Asia but this monetization model isn't going away anytime soon. Maybe in the future more regulations will be imposed to reduce the gambling aspect, or more gamers will get fed up with it and companies will be forced to change their methods.
Doesn't mean I agree with how the game works but it's better to be aware of the risks.

Warlock54
Squire
Squire

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:25 pm

Rashar wrote:
[
Where did I ever say I was cool with the droprates?

Let me just stop you right there, before we play the whole, "That's not what I said!" game with the predictable, "This is what I actually said, don't you feel dumb now?" follow-up.

I know perfectly well what your actual position is. I frequently read the Soul Hunters Sub-Reddit and I read your comments all the time. In fact, I read this week's "Ask Anything Here" thread and you helped someone out with an intelligent, on-topic response, to which they were very grateful, AND probably helped out other people as well. So I was asking myself yesterday, "Why can't I get that version of Rashar instead of the one that derails the thread to make a stupid unrelated inside joke with the moderator?"

If you want to bitch at me about something, try me being passive aggressive in trying to get you (and anybody else that latches on Kemosabe's post) to stay on topic, because I didn't create this thread to discuss the virtues of Hurok.

I am taking this too seriously, but I was trying to provide some feedback to Lilith Games and engage the community in what I feel is a meaningful topic. These kind of grabass posts just make me feel like I wasted my time. For what's it's worth, I think you had a bad example to follow.

You're welcome to reply to this post (not like I can stop you), but you won't receive another response from me about it (nor will anybody else).
Last edited by Warlock54 on Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Warlock54
Squire
Squire

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:29 pm

Grocoloco wrote:
Lot's of meaningful stuff

Thanks for this reply. This may sound odd, but I don't have a lot to say in response because I'm taking what you wrote as given. That is, I don't have a rebuttal. I do feel it is unfortunate and I wish the model was more tempered.

I do really appreciate the thoughtful and interesting reply. There was some stuff here I didn't know or didn't realize.

anon
Knight
Knight

Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Grocoloco wrote:
Warlock54 wrote:
I'm not sure if its intended to catch the unwary, or they just don't think about it this stuff from a Western point-of-view. I mean, perhaps this acceptable in Korea and this is a difference in cultures?

You are making a valid point in your post but I think you are unaware why the system it's like it is, why Lilith is no different from most asian mobile games out there, and why games will continue working like this for a long time.

1. Asian cultures strongly believe in luck, fate, numerology. It's been deeply ingrained in their culture for centuries, gambling is a normal social activity.
2. Point 1 explains Asian addiction to gambling. *According to Dr. Timothy Fong, an associate Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA and co-director of the UCLA Gambling Studies Program, the rate of gambling addiction ranges from 6 percent to nearly 60 percent, depending on the specific Asian ethnicity (Southeast Asian refugees scoring highest) as opposed to the national rate of 1-2 percent.*
3. In Asia this type of commercialization method is accepted without much opposition, unlike here in the west.
4. Read this: http://www.serkantoto.com/2012/02/21/ga ... ial-games/ or google what is Gachapon applied to free-to-play social games (this method is being used in many western games already).
5. This model is a BIG success, the west included.

There have been cases where game companies went full gambling mode and regulations have been imposed in Asia but this monetization model isn't going away anytime soon. Maybe in the future more regulations will be imposed to reduce the gambling aspect, or more gamers will get fed up with it and companies will be forced to change their methods.
Doesn't mean I agree with how the game works but it's better to be aware of the risks.

Thank you for dropping straight facts with references.

Rashar
Baron
Baron

Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:33 pm

Let me just stop you right there, before we play the whole, "That's not what I said!" game with the predictable, "This is what I actually said, don't you feel dumb now?" follow-up.

Well if you know my point of view then you should be fully aware of what I said...

Besides I am not the one to take what I said out of context.

Was it offtopic, yes it was, other then that not much was left to the readers imagination.

SFRpro
Baron
Baron

Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:50 pm

I think its getting down to corporate culture and values as rightly elaborated by your post. Players are seen as the milking cows, with Lilith Games being the cash cow for the pecuniary stakeholders of the Co.

Little or no consideration is given in actually getting value for money.

The problem is not in spending I believe. The real problem is customer satisfaction. If people were satisfied with what they are offered or given, they would have been. "Happy Spenders", however little the sum may be.

LoneWolf
Baron
Baron

Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:16 pm

poisoned wrote:
I think Lilith underestimates the different spending habits for games in Europe, Australia and America compared to Asia where it is quite normal to spend huge amounts of money for gaming.
You are correct. Speaking from an Australian's point of view, the cost of living here is quite high as it is, and having a mortgage doesn't help, so most people here DO NOT spend money on an online video game. You'll find the more girl gamers of Australia spend money because obviously things like mortgages and bills they expect the guy to handle.
Never Bite The Hand That Feeds You
Current Primary Deck: Nilya, Sylphi, Kong, Malrath, Goram
Current Secondary Deck: Firehawk, Jasmine, Taurus, Tashi, Valan