Holydoc
Knight
Knight

Two many new Heroes

Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Please stop making so many new heroes. Way too many to concentrate on. One a month is more than enough. Players need time to evolve and gear up all the other ones. Please take this into consideration. I am a long time fan and i love your game. But you are saturating the market with too many heroes. Thank you for your time and patience.

ashOck
Baron
Baron

Re: Two many new Heroes

Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Just pick and choose who to level up. Releasing heroes is necessary to the game revenue for the developers and to prevent game stagnation for the players. So many of us have undeveloped heroes that are awaiting word if they are worth promoting or fusing. Most of the newer heroes have been good and fun to use and to compete with. Some of these newer releases allow me to compete against teams with Goram and Sylphi -- the older ones just don't do it in many cases.

TreeSap
Baron
Baron

Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:20 am

ashOck wrote:
Just pick and choose who to level up. Releasing heroes is necessary to the game revenue for the developers and to prevent game stagnation for the players. So many of us have undeveloped heroes that are awaiting word if they are worth promoting or fusing. Most of the newer heroes have been good and fun to use and to compete with. Some of these newer releases allow me to compete against teams with Goram and Sylphi -- the older ones just don't do it in many cases.

I disagree with the idea that releasing heroes at the current rate is necessary to maintain revenue levels and prevent game stagnation, though admittedly we don't have access to Lilith's numbers on the matter. Soul Hunters has more value than just as a competition-based society, and while hero-based feature accretion is cheap and easy, it has a long-term cost.

The problem is that the current level of hero accretion may eventually make the game less and less approachable to new players. Churning out new heroes adds breadth but not much new depth given the current design, and new players will be faced with an ever widening swimming pool, as opposed to an awe-inspiring growing water park. This includes potential whales, who may perceive a higher cost over time to getting close to being competitive within SH, and may decide not to even start just by glancing at the guides and seeing the number of possible heroes and the large cost of maximizing their effectiveness.

In MOBA-like games, players are features. Hero accretion favors existing whales but not new players, including whales. Thinking long-term, hero accretion may eventually harm the new player experience, which means by adding in new features now (3 heroes a month), they may be sacrificing features (new players) in the future when the number of heroes is just plain overwhelming.

I'd recommend taking a look at improving current features, like making a more inspiring campaign, giving the heroes more hero-specific challenges and personality, adding targeted challenges and special modes to the Crucible of Fire, etc etc. Competition is a great motivator for spending, but it is not the only one. There are other player types who play games like this, and Soul Hunters has decent core mechanics that can be used for so much more than making new heroes for competition whales.

Admittedly, SH is more than just grind and compete, but as I'm now at level 90 and have unlocked a lot of the features, I'm finding I'd like more game outside of the grind-and-compete class of features. Yay, a new hero comes along. Now I can grind to level it and then compete with it. So that I can grind more and compete more, and then get the next hero so that I can grind again and compete more. Wait, maybe that new hero will do slightly better in the raids, levels, etc that I have already completed! Except that I have already completed them, so the amusement from that is maybe only very slight.

Long-winded, but basically I'm crossing my fingers for Lilith to design more quality experiences for me to have within Soul Hunters, rather than just designing more heroes.

megachirops
Knight
Knight

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:10 pm

The rate hasn't changed for over a year now and they're still going strong https://www.reddit.com/r/SoulHuntersGame/wiki/newheroes

And, despite what veterans would like to see, it does make (business) sense for them to just ignore old stuff and just keep adding new... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tL_bCwiUKNE

KemosabeTBC
Moderator (Soul Hunters)
Moderator (Soul Hunters)

Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:16 pm

megachirops wrote:
The rate hasn't changed for over a year now and they're still going strong https://www.reddit.com/r/SoulHuntersGame/wiki/newheroes

And, despite what veterans would like to see, it does make (business) sense for them to just ignore old stuff and just keep adding new... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tL_bCwiUKNE

"Accretion" is not something that makes sense for all business models (IMO it doesn't make sense for any, but whatever...). It is a completely fucked up model and thousands of people stop playing because of it. It only leads to an inevitable demise of the game. The people who continue playing will eventually burn out.

TreeSap
Baron
Baron

Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 pm

megachirops wrote:

It is a short-term revenue generation tactic, but it doesn't take a lot of imagination to see what effects it might have long-term. The rate may not have changed, and may have made more sense when there were fewer heroes; however, it would be a waste to see the potential of Soul Hunters peter out just because of nearsighted design decisions. It would be a waste to Lilith and to the players... particularly the whales that have put a lot of money into the game.

In fact, if I saw better management in how new heroes were put out, I probably wouldn't even speak up about it. I'm not concerned with Keeping Up with the Gorams. I like that whales subsidize my play (and pretending none of them are harming themselves to do so). The problem is that the game doesn't really seem to be growing along with the hero options.