TreeSap
Baron
Baron

Ember's Riddle: Too Many Possible Word Combos

Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Hello, Lilith:

I love riddles, and like solving them. I've even made a few when running games as a dungeon master. But I have a problem with Ember's riddle today: there are too many possible answers that fit the riddle. Add on top of that that we need to glue two words together in the promo code field to answer it (curse you autocorrect), and the range of possible character combinations is staggering. I don't want to put my solutions here to avoid spoilers, but I do think someone at Lilith should sit down and think of more possible correct answers to this riddle and start adding those codes to possible entries players can make in that promo code field; otherwise, frustrated riddle solvers like myself will have thought up a good half dozen legitimate solutions, and have tried a hundred character combinations to try to get the promo code field to accept their right answers.

I guess I could provide one of the answers I thought of as an example: ANOPPORTUNITY. This obviously didn't work, but is a fit to the riddle. If an opportunity is clear, it is precious and should be used immediately before it vanishes. Yet along this line of thought, I could put THEOPPORTUNITY, MYOPPORTUNITY, GOODOPPORTUNITY, etc etc etc etc etc before I figure out that this isn't what the riddle is about. Or never guess the second appropriate word at all. Or maybe it is using the word CHANCE instead. See where I'm going with this? One concept equals a lot of entry attempts, unlike an oral recognition of the answer attempt.

And beyond that one, I worked out a large number of other fitting answers, with each of those having their own possible accompanying words and synonyms.

Alternatively, maybe flesh out the riddle a little more to eliminate other possible right answers (the key to any good riddle) while keeping the desired answer just as mysterious. Hopefully I'll get the right character combo since I've already thought up lots of potential fits.

In any case, thanks for a riddle to work out! I can PM or email my other possible fits for the riddle if Lilith wants to use them to make the riddle a bit more fitting to a certain concept.

KemosabeTBC
Moderator (Soul Hunters)
Moderator (Soul Hunters)

Re: Ember's Riddle: Too Many Possible Word Combos

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:14 pm

All their riddles so far have been related to ingame items or characters so, the universe of possible answers is not that big.

TreeSap
Baron
Baron

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:37 pm

Okay, that certainly does narrow it down. But I wouldn't have known that otherwise :P. I guess that kind of limiting clarification is one of the two suggestions I have for this riddle.

Savitar
Squire
Squire

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:38 pm

This passed from funny to awful, when you tried mroe than 100 combinations starts to make u angry...

witzy
Squire
Squire

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:48 pm

Is there a high level item with Ice, Crystal, or Frozen in it? Or possibly an ability? I have tried a couple like FrozenSpear and FrozenTeardrop but no luck.

tehzmann
Squire
Squire

Thu Dec 29, 2016 3:52 pm

underworldsaber

Puckersunchers
Baron
Baron

Thu Dec 29, 2016 4:29 pm

Looks like somebody working a Lilith decided to impress his girlfriend. "Look babe, I prepared promocodes which nobody will figure out , even after 80 years from this event".

Or they'd be like "Need promocode? Buy 5000 diamonds and we'll send you a promocode to unlock the promocode to the said promocode"

DeusEx
Viscount
Viscount

Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Well, even if you got it right, you won't be able to write it down until tomorrow. So, just wait.

Draketooth
Squire
Squire

Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:24 pm

I think Lilith made a mistake. They posted the Promo Code for the Centaur's Riddle today, but they accidentally announced Ember's riddle instead of the Centaur's riddle. Ember's Riddle Promo Code will be tomorrow instead of today and today we got the Centaur's Riddle. For entering that promo code, you get 500k in gold. Not too shabby!

The answer for today's Centaur Riddle is:

UNDERWORLDSABER

We won't know what Ember's will be until tomorrow but some possible options that I could guess (keep in mind, it has been awhile since I saw the riddle this morning):

FireRuby
RedJade
AuroraTorch
CrimsonStaff
ScorchingSpear
EternalFlame

This is only me guessing since most of them are either based on characters in game, enemies in game, or items in game. I'm leaning more towards an item in game since today's answer is an item.
Name: -CC-Draketooth
Server: 146 Bloody Cloak
Guild: CapedCrusaders ID# 20338

PatoMCR
Knight
Knight

Thu Dec 29, 2016 7:42 pm

Indeed, the Promo Code that works today is "UnderworldSaber"... However, some people in FB comments are saying that this promo is an old one that Lilith forgot to close, and today's PC (from Urestag) Is another one... I don't think that's the case, as the description for "Underworld Saber" fits with Urestag's Riddle... but it -could- be that today we get two PC...